Vertical videos became a thing when smartphones and vertical video recording began. And it’s the trend right now! Many people record their videos vertically on iPhones, Samsung Galaxy, or even OnePlus. Then some users try to share those videos on Instagram stories, TikTok, Facebook Stories, and Snapchat stories.
However, most video editing apps cannot edit vertical video or rotate it to horizontal video because vertically-shot footage is rotated from the beginning and therefore needs to be processed differently in editing software like iMovie. This article here will answer your questions about how to edit vertical video in iMovie on Mac or iOS device, for that matter.
>> How to edit photos on Mac: Two Ways
>> Best MacBook for video editing right now
iMovie is a video editing app by Apple. It allows you to edit videos, create movies, and share your videos on social media. You can also use iMovie to import and edit vertical videos.
>> How to trim, Cut, Crop video in macOS Mojave
If you have recorded a vertical video with your iPhone or iPad, here are the steps for importing and editing it in iMovie on Mac or iPhone.
How to Edit Vertical Video in iMovie on iPhone
1. Open iMovie app.
2. Tap on the Movie in the bottom menu.
3. Now click on Media > select Video, and tap on All.
4. Select a single or multiple videos from the list and confirm you’re selection ☑️ .
5. Now, tap Create Movie.
6. Now you can use pinch gesture to zoom into the video for easy editing. (Just tap on the pinch zoom button on the screen if you re not able to zoom in)
7. Edit video according to your preference.
8. Rotate the video after editing using two fingers ins a twisting motion. You must rotate the video or videos before exporting it.
9. Tap Done, then tap on the Share button and Save Video.
10. Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
11. Open the Video and tap edit.
12. Look for cropping section and tap the rotate button.
>> Best free Video editing software for Mac – MacBook
How to Edit Vertical Video in iMovie on Mac
To work on or edit vertical videos:
1. Open the iMovie app on your Mac.
2. Tap the “New Project” icon at the top of the screen.
3. Choose a project type (for example, “Video” or “Photos & Videos”), then tap “Create.”
4. Tap the “+” icon in the lower-left corner of your screen to choose from available clips.
5. Tap any clip you want to use, then tap “Edit.” Tap “Trim” if you want to remove parts of the clip before using it; otherwise leave it at its default length for now. (If you’re using a photo rather than video footage, tap & hold anywhere over it until an orange circle appears around it.)
6. View the available editing options at the preview window.
7. Click on the crop icon and click on the rotate right/left shortcuts to change the position of the vertical video.
8. You can use filters and Flipped settings to change the orientation of the vertical video.
9. Once all edits are complete, tap “Done” at the top right corner of your screen.
Create, edit and use vertical videos on Tiktok, Instagram and other social media apps
In conclusion, I hope that this article has helped you understand how vertical video on iMovie can be so easily edited. Vertical video might not be your cup of tea. But it is widely used and shared in social networks like Snapchat, TikTok, Youtube, Facebook and Instagram. So manipulating video with iMovie is a very useful skill to have as a designer or editor.